Over MLK weekend, my boyfriend and I met up with friends and stayed at their ski house in Killington, Vermont. Being slightly concerned about the meal situation, I packed a lot of veggies and grains so I wouldn't be tempted to cheat or be forced to eat unhealthy alternatives. To be honest, I was a little nervous that I might stand out from the group because I would be eating something different than everyone else. I don't know about you guys, but I will get those looks of pity when they ask me if I'd like some bacon and then realize that I can't have any. (People it's a choice- if I wanted to eat it, I would. Watch Forks Over Knives and you might make the same choice as me!) Anyway, My boyfriend is usually the one to do most of the cooking in settings such as this and he cooked up some dishes for me while tending to the steak for the rest of the group. Even though he isn't vegan, my boyfriend really likes most of the vegan meals I prepare/request so I knew he'd be eating some as well.
I was keeping my mouth shut (figuratively) about what I was eating because I didn't want to make a scene. A lot of times people will hear the word "vegan" and will loose all interest in trying something(especially guys!) They immediately think it will be bland or not filling enough or maybe they're just afraid to eat something green. But to my surprise, everyone wanted a side of what I was eating! Turns out if it smells good, looks good, and is ready to be served, people will want to try it. They weren't complicated dishes: just steamed kale over pasta with garlic and olive oil, and for day two, sliced potatoes with broccoli, baby spinach, mushroom, and onion sautéed in vegetable oil. yum! For the slopes, I packed a bagel with banana and peanut butter and started my days with some oatmeal and honey.
So even though going out for brunch at the local diner might still be difficult, I am no longer afraid to bring a kick ass vegan dish to the party!
How were the conditions on the mountain? Amazing! Check out my new Gnu!

No comments:
Post a Comment