For a while now, I've been hearing people rave about how easy kale chips are to make and how delicious they are. It took me up until now to try making a batch mostly because my first and only experience was with store bought kale chips that were kind of disappointing. In fact, the bag is still sitting on a shelf in my pantry. Nonetheless, all the good gab made me want to give khips a second chance- only this time, I'd make it fresh.
First things first- they came out amazing! Kale chips really are delish and I was way wrong with my first impression. HOWEVER, they are not as easy to make as I was let on. There are only three ingredients, but the prep is important in order to make a successful batch.

Using a bundle of curly leafed kale, extra virgin olive oil, and iodized salt, I made two cookie trays worth of kale chips. I first rinsed all of the kale and dried them as much as possible. (The oil wont stick if the leaves are even a little wet.) Next, I cut out the stems using kitchen scissors to get rid of the bitter part of the vegie. After giving them another pat with a dry towel, I coated every inch with a thin layer of EVOO. You don't want them too greasy, but you want the oil to cover the entire leaf. I did it by tossing the kale in a large mixing bowl with my hands. (A basting brush could also work in this situation but I didn't have one. Use what you've got!) Using cookie sheets toped with wax paper, I laid the kale out strategically and pre headed the oven to 300 degrees. Lastly, I toped them off with an even dusting of salt and baked for 10 to 15 minutes.
For a first timer, I think I did pretty well. Some of them came out crispier than others (which I still haven't figured out why...) but I didn't burn them! :) Also, I could have gone a little lighter on the salt. I'm not a huge salt person as it is and sea salt is powerful stuff. After cooling, I was bold enough to bring them with me to a friends house. Within the hour the two of us had killed both batches! They're so guilt free and tasty, not only vegans will be reaching for this snack!
No comments:
Post a Comment