I found this recipe for "paleo pumpkin pie cupcakes" with a coconut whipped topping - sounds delicious right? Well they looked even better on my Pinterest board so yesterday I decided to try them out. Right off the bat it confused me; they were labeled as paleo but the instructions called for 20 to 25 minutes in the oven at 350 degrees- HUH? Nonetheless, I was craving pumpkin and I already bought all the ingredients so I went for it. But I quickly started having doubts again before I was done using the food processer. The batter was really loose and even my non-experienced gut knew that wasn't good in the baking world. That wasn't the only thing that unnerved me. I checked out the comments on the website to see how other people were faring in hopes to get some reassurance, but some of the posts were extremely negative. Still, I moved forward and continued to follow the recipe word for word.
Oh by the way, Here's what they called for:
-1 can pumpkin
-2 ripe bananas
-1/2 cup coconut sugar
-1 1/2 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp ginger
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
-1/4 tsp sea salt
And for the whip topping:
-1 can full fat coconut milk
-2 Tbsp maple syrup
-1tsp vanilla beans
The instructions for the "cupcake" were very easy: 1) Preheat the oven to 350. 2) Line a 12 cup tin with liners 3) Throw all the ingredients in a food processer. 4) Once completely blended, pour the batter into the tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. * I baked for 35 minutes and it was completely necessary.
And then, I made the mistake of trying to make the whipped topping. What a mistake. First off, her instructions were kind of confusing. I honestly don't know if I was supposed to use the whole can of coconut milk or just the "fatty white top" that she described. (If you ask me, the whole can was fatty and white?) And then I really messed it up by using 1/2 tsp of vanilla extract instead of 1tsp of vanilla bean - it tasted like alcohol. Not to mention, I couldn't get it to be thick and fluffy like in the original picture. All in all, the topping was a huge fail.
Looking back at everything, I would definitely try these again (without the topping.) But honestly it's the furthest thing from a cupcake... it really is pie filling. I might even like to find a nice crust recipe to pair it back to. I'll let you know how it goes!
| My Sad excuse for a whipped topping! |
No comments:
Post a Comment