Monday, April 7, 2014

Veghetti :)

I've been reading this book titled Voices of the Food Revolution which covers everything from how to heal your body to solving world poverty all with the choices we make at the grocery store. It really has some fascinating facts about the wonders of nature and some scary ones about the food industry. The author, John Robbins, goes through a series of interviews with world renown PhDs and food activists such as Colin Campbell. He also put in interviews with best selling authors, one of which is Rory Freedman, the author of the book Skinny Bitch. I never had interest in reading it before, (I expected it to just be another diet book that glorified body image) but after reading her interview, I've placed it on the top of my reading list!

In the interview, Rory said something that really caught my attention. She said "You will never meet a more food-obsessed group of humans than vegans. Nobody talks about food, likes food, or spends more time eating food, comparing food, dreaming about food, and planning food." It just hit home so much for me because before I went vegan, I NEVER cooked. I mean the most I would do is boil water for noodles - maybe. What's more, I NEVER put so much thought into what my next meal is going to be. Now, I'll think about what I'm going to eat for lunch while I'm making breakfast! I mean look at me... I started a blog about food. Can you get any more obsessed? To tell you the truth, I was never excited to make anything or try anything new for that matter until I went vegan.


This week, my obsession has been with my new toy, the Paderno Spiralizer. It turns veggies into spirals! I'm talking zucchini and squash pasta folks, and it is delicious! After cranking the veg through, I just tossed the spirals on a pan with a little bit of EVOO, garnished it with some black pepper and parsley, and topped it off with olives to add some salt. It doesn't need to stay long or it will get too mushy so it's a quick meal. I no longer will be reaching for the Barilla; now I crave veghetti!

1 comment:

  1. I read Skinny Bitch, and it's definitely worth a look. Lots of interesting points on diet and what we do/don't need.

    ReplyDelete