Here's what I used:
- 2 cups oat flour
- 1 Tablespoon cane sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon iodized salt
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2 cups almond milk
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large bananas, sliced
- 1/3 cup vegan chocolate chips
I mixed the dry ingredients first in a large bowl and then added the almond milk and coconut oil after warming to liquefy. (If using coconut oil, remember to warm the almond milk also to keep the oil from solidifying) After letting the batter rest 5-10 minutes, I added the banana slices and chocolate chips.
I chose to play it safe and make one pancake at a time because oat flour is a little more delicate than wheat flour batter. Just like regular pancakes, they were ready to flip after getting golden brown on the sides. However, the batter won't bubble as much as you might be used to seeing so keep a close watch. I kept them over a low heat so they needed a few minutes to cook through.
Side Note:
I have been substituting coconut oil for vegetable and olive oils in my recipes (including this one) because the body recognizes it as a sugar rather than a fat. I'm sharing this fun fact because sugars burn quickly as apposed to fats which are the last thing in the body to burn and are normally stored. Some coconut oils are going to have a stronger taste than others (the more natural brands will give more coconut taste than expeller pressed.) Not to worry though; in this recipe, the coconut oil adds a nice "buttery" flavor and texture.
This recipe will yield about 4 servings. Enjoy, Friends!



No comments:
Post a Comment